The Hindu Editorial-A debate beyond "CLICKTIVISIM
This one is the sixth post of "Editorial with vocab" series. Please study it regularly in order to improve English section score in Banking exam.
The consultation process set in motion by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on the issue of differential pricing of cellular data has set off a full-scale and no-holds BARRED of words between the authority and Facebook. The SPAT the into the public domain last week when TRAI released its e-mail exchanges with the social networking giant. The telecom regulator is clearly concerned about the UNABASHED enthusiasm demonstrated by Facebook to utilise — indeed, exploit — the consultation process to drum up support for its Free Basics product. TRAI was scathing in its criticism of Facebook’s high-intensity LOBBYING exercise. The regulator MINCED no words, and accused Facebook of converting its consultation process into a “crudely majoritarian and ORCHESTRATED opinion poll’’. Also, TRAI is convinced that the campaign by Facebook to defend its free Internet platform “is wholly misplaced” as the consultation paper is only on differential pricing for data services and not on any particular product or service. The social networking giant has been collating responses from users of its platform, and forwarding them to TRAI. Somewhere in this process, Facebook felt that somebody with access to the TRAI e-mail account had blocked the receipt of its e-mails. That accusation was enough to provoke a CONFRONTATTION with TRAI. More than anything else, the stand-off between the two has brought the focus on the EFFICACY of the consultation process in an environment where private enterprise is increasingly gaining greater CLOUT. Also, it raises serious questions on the lobbying practices followed to shape outcomes in a consultation process, and the potential impact on policy formulations.
In the Information Age, where communication enterpmeaning are not just controlling but also redefining the way we interact, it is IMPRUDENT and even risky to let them have a free run in setting the policy agenda. The right to do business does not automatically give them the freedom to misuse their platforms to hijack policy initiative by SWAYING public opinion. By means of its action, Facebook clearly has walked into the ‘conflict of interest’ argument. In the wake of rising support for net neutrality, Facebook launched a multi-million dollar campaign late last year to support Free Basics, a re-branded version of its internet.org. How TEANBLE is it for an interested enterprise like Facebook to play a facilitating role in the consultation process initiated by TRAI? The ‘template response’ that it has procured from its users naturally has no ARTICULATION on the points made by TRAI. Moreover, Facebook cannot ARROGATE to itself the right to represent users just because they use its platform. The TRAI-Facebook face-off, unfortunately, has deflected the focus from the real issue: what kind of Internet access will suit a country like India with over a billion people? A solution must focus on providing maximum benefit to the poor.
Important Words with their meaning
- Barred ~ To stop from doing & stopping, Interrupted , closed बाधित बंद
- Spat ~ a short argument, usually about something that is not important , fight, quarrel झगड़ा मनमुटाव विवाद करना , झापड़ मारना
- Unabashed ~ without any worry about possible criticism or embarrassment अविच्लित , अटल , अडिग
- Lobbying ~ the activity of trying to persuade someone in authority पैरवी , पक्ष जुटाव
- Minced ~ having been cut up into very small pieces कीमा बनाया हुआ
- Orchestrated ~ arrange,organize, करवाया
- Confrontation ~ a fight or argument , विरोध , मुक़ाबला
- Efficacy ~ the ability to produce a desired or intended result, प्रभावोत्पादकता , गुण-कारिता
- Clout ~ power and influence over other people or events रसूख
- Imprudent ~ unwise, by failing to consider the likely results of your actions ढीठ , अविवेकी
- Swaying ~ to move slowly from side to side लहराते , एक ओर झुकना
- Tenable ~ able to be defended successfully or held for a particular period of time लायक़ , मान्य , उचित
- Articulation ~ in something that consists of two or more parts, the way in which the parts are joined and able to move in relation to each other ,जोड़बंदी , ग्रंथन , स्पष्ट उच्चारण
- Arrogate ~ to take something without having the right to do so हड़पना ,हथियाना ,
If you liked it then please hit below like button and share it with your friend.
We would like to hear from you. Please comment your feedback & suggestion.
Repeating once again-
- Please follow it regularly
- Try to summarise the passage
- Memorize the words
If you do so for 60 days then I am sure you will see the drastic change in your score of English section.
Courtesy: Khushi Tiwari
Team IBPSprepdda is thankful to Khushi Tiwari, we admire her efforts. We request our readers to support her & admire her effort.